soulstirringexperiences

My Blog is an attempt to share,gather,learn from experiences that have touched my soul in some way.It's a new found voice to my thoughts and how I feel about life and everything related to it.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Creation !



Ever wondered how God feels when he creates his master pieces …I did ponder on the same and got a 1st hand experience recently. It all happened when I decided to break the monotony of my fast paced Mumbai corporate life by taking up some activity that would be different, creative, engaging and be my stress buster. What I chanced upon was a Pottery class …yet one of those impulsive decisions which I am so proud of.

I remember my 1st session where my teacher (a very down to earth person) passionate about his teaching skills gave me wet terracotta clay on an electronic wheel and said
“Just enjoy today …feel the clay, talk to it, introduce yourself to it, and hear what it has to say to you …” I looked at him and in my mind wondered, was I at the right place?

My teacher warned me that he would insist on ensuring my base was strong and even if it meant being patient and spending more time on learning the technique step by step . That’s what next many sessions took out of me … true test of patience and endurance. I would many times be tempted to just jump to the next step so that I could see a final creation in a shape and form.

It did take me some time to learn to manage the clay. My relationship with the clay needed me to be gentle, nurturing, loving, patient, and above all unconditionally committed. Almost like any human relationship, isn’t it?

The day I was upset, angry or pre occupied by some other thoughts I would falter. Soon I got better and better. Finally one day reached a point where my teacher felt I was ready to give my clay a shape. I was nervous and very excited .As I tenderly moved my hands to mould the clay I could see myself giving it a beautiful form. It was like giving it
“LIFE” .For a moment I even felt like God (Grin!!). It just looked so perfect! Just then a small jerk in the hand movement made its brim crooked. It looked a bit imperfect but can’t express what a proud moment it was for me.

My very 1st creation …Imperfect as it may seem but for me it was a REAL BEAUTY. Wonder if God reacts in the same way when his own creations think they are imperfect!

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Biren said...

so... you have started on a journey of 'making mud'...
wonder how that will change the way you make mud in life.
whatever it is, i know it will be beautiful.
here is something that you reminded me. it's a quote by parker palmer:
"Making pottery, for example, involves more than telling the clay what to become. The clay presses back onto the potter's hands, telling her what it can and cannot do - and if she fails to listen, the outcome will be both frail and ungainly."

he was referring to knowing our inner self - in the context of what we can, and cannot do. not as limitations, but as freedom. a amboo is not limited because it cannot be a rose... it is free to become a bamboo... and rise as high as it can.

you are probably learning this first-hand.

happy journying.
love/b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home