soulstirringexperiences

My Blog is an attempt to share,gather,learn from experiences that have touched my soul in some way.It's a new found voice to my thoughts and how I feel about life and everything related to it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Mumbai does it again ...

11th July 2006, yet another sad day that shall be remembered in the history of Mumbai. Yes I am referring to the shocking serial blast (8 blasts within 11 mins) in the local trains of Mumbai (The life line of Mumbai). Hundreds of people have lost their lives yet again and lot more injured. It reminded every one of the nightmarish serial blast of 1993.

It created panic and chaos amongst Mumbaikars. Trains were stalled and thus Mumbaikars got on to the road in panic to reach home safely. With a fear of not knowing if their loved ones would reach home safely. Phone lines got jammed mobile networks blocked. I too lived the fear as after the 1st blast. Luckily I informed my Mom not to take the train that she does usually at the time and she decided to hit the road. For the next hour all news channels were airing news of series of blast that took place one after the other.

It was very scary for a while as I couldn’t get in touch with my mother who I knew had taken the road nor my sister whose office was very close to the 1st blast location. Finally after a few hours my sister had the presence of mind to try reaching out to me via the internet to inform that she was safe and home. It was a bit of relief. For hours there after, we were worried about my mom who was untraceable. Strangely my uncle from Delhi got through her and informed us about her where about. But the tension prevailed until she reached home after 3-4 hrs on the road.

While I stayed back in office and then decided to venture out on the roads at 11:30 pm. with a few colleagues. It took me 2 hrs at midnight to reach home. But the site on the roads was heartening and really touched me in some way.

There was traffic which was almost crawling, buses were packed and bursting out of it’s seems. Ambulances, were trying to reach hospitals. People on the roads were stuck in the traffic jam for hours. It was unbelievable to see loads of people on the roads reaching out to every car, bus and taxi offering drinking water, some offered tea, biscuits, etc. People were helping cops direct traffic.There were women, children and senior citizens offering these services.

I was really touched by this display of humanity and unconditional service towards one and other. Here caste didn’t seem to matter, nor did age nor status. Every one was just there to support each other to face the crisis bravely.

It’s this undying spirit of Mumbai that constantly inspite of the odds it seems to be facing in recent times gets each Mumbaikar proudly claim “ Aamchi Mumbai"

1 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi payal,

chanced upon your blog on the net and its turned out to be a real pleasant surprise..your posts really show a lot of depth and i think this is a blog i am going to get hooked to !

will see you this sun on nikki's bday..lets plan her a surprise or something..

keep the faith..cheers,shivani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home