soulstirringexperiences

My Blog is an attempt to share,gather,learn from experiences that have touched my soul in some way.It's a new found voice to my thoughts and how I feel about life and everything related to it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Raghudixit project



Raghupati Dixit … that’s a bhari bhadkam name, isn’t it? Just like the personality. Well he is lovingly called Raghu. I met him 4 yrs back in Bangalore. The reason I write about him is coz he is a Musician with a DIFFRENCE …actually already a ‘Star’ to all his fans.

Well I do not understand too much of music but, Raghu’s unique voice, folksy yet contemporary style of music caught my attention when my friend/colleague in Bangalore called KK took me for a concert of a one man band called ‘Antragani’. KK raved about them through out the journey. As they were then the Radio City music contests winners.

We reached late and had to sit on the stairs but that was some showing I have ever attended …The crowd was cheering, dancing and enjoying every beat. The music had brilliant use of drums, amazing violin (I began to enjoy the violin ever since) flute, guitar that Raghu played him self and above all his unique voice.

I too had my feet tapping... the music was charismatic and very different from what I have ever heard. I was completely in awe of his style of music and his “Mysore se aayi’ song with interesting folksy music had the crowd going wild. They call his style of music Indo World Folk Rock.

I was at that point scouting to tie up with an Indian fusion band for my then client Coffee Board of India’s participation as a host country at the largest International coffee trade fair at Boston (USA). There began my quest to hunt for a man called Raghupati Dixit.

It was crazy as all I knew was that he was a Radio city winner …After much research and networking I got through a voice mail with a heavy Bangalore / Mysore accent saying “Hi I am not home please leave your name and number after a beep …Ting tong !” Well the Ting tong was his door bell that got captured in the voice message. I left many messages and didn’t get a reply till one day I left a message asking him to call me back and instructed him ( almost a polite request actually) to change the DAMN Bell or the message that ends with a TING TONG as its BLOODY irritating. And that’s what got Raghu to call me back :-)

Raghu managed to sweep every one at Coffee Board off their feet.Ms. Venkatachalam the then chairperson got nostalgic about her college days every time she heard Raghu's guitar and music. But as luck would have it Raghu and Antragani couldn’t make it to Boston due to some visa issues.

But thanks to this quest I discovered an awesome musician and a good friend.

I am a BIG fan of his music. I see alot of depth in his lyrics too. Like his song on 'In mumbai , waiting for a miricle' so beautifuly describes his experiences in the city of dreams Mumbai.There was another song he had composed with children of all age group from the Bangalore school of music , can't recollect the name of the song but I remember I use to realy enjoy listening to it. Though my all time favorite song is “No Man will ever love you like I do’.

Unfortunately, then I use to have a Demo CD of his music,which I sharafat se returbed before getting back to Mumbai ...I wish I hadn't :-(. Now all I get to hear is the snapshots on his songs on his website.

Like most of his fans I am anxiously waiting for his album to release by end of this year. Antragani the band doesn’t exist but Raghu has initiated something called “The RaghuDixit Project” and they are geared up to release an album called ‘Folk the System'. I wish him and his band the very best always. I know he is going to make it BIG soon :-)

If you wish to experience his soul stirring music, lyrics and get to know more about Raghu and "The Raghudixit project" do visit http://www.raghudixit.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home