soulstirringexperiences

My Blog is an attempt to share,gather,learn from experiences that have touched my soul in some way.It's a new found voice to my thoughts and how I feel about life and everything related to it.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

My Daddy Strongest !

Remember this catchy line from an edible oil commercial few years back...It's so true … that’s what every little girl feels about her father … no matter how lean and simple he is . It’s actually beyond the physical look.He is her Super hero and idol for life. So was the case with me …My Dearest Papa was my Biggest Super Hero …actually Master Magician is more like the word I can use to describe him.

Honestly to the out side world he came across an average common polite and very helpful, honest and quiet human being …but there was so much more to him. He surely ‘THE BESTEST PAPA’ in the world.

I was the apple of his eye…till date I have never experienced unconditional love and pampering the way papa showered me with. He was the center of my world … a world that honestly didn’t care to look beyond Mom, Sonal (my sis) and Papa. I can't remember any wish of mine that ever was not fulfilled .. yes at times he would be modest and say that it will take some time but every wish was always fulfilled!

I use to look forward to coming back from my summer vacations .. usually Delhi was the destination ( native place after all ). As the Rajdhani train would near Mumbai Central station …I would impatiently look forward to see my dearest papa waiting amongst the crowd. Amazingly I would just spot him inspite of the crowd. That moment was just the best moment for me.It was surely the favorite part of my trip.

Oh and watching children’s films like Chota Chetan and Jungle book ...just me and my papa. He knew how fond I was of Hindi film music …so without me asking every new film cassette was presented to me i too would anxiously wait for the same.

When it came to Math and accounts.. I can proudly claim that had it not been for papa’s efforts I wouldn’t have ever cleared my exams …He would wake me up at 5 am in the morning and diligently sit with me explaining and making me practice the subjects. This is in spite the fact that he would have a long working day thereafter. Not to forget the 5 years my dearest parents spent taking us from Ghatkopar to Bandra ( about 60- 80km ) to ensure that we got good schooling. Papa would infact travel in opposite direction ( opposite to his work place that is - Thane ) drop us to school and then head to office … 5 long years .. not a joke .. .. I wonder if I could ever do that for anyone.

The moment I expressed my interest on learning to drive … within no time he bought me a Fiat so that I could learn and fulfill my biggest dream ...( well he knew that as a kid if ever anyone asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up .. prompt would be my rely - Truck Driver ...Itni Badi gaadi hoti hai uski ... he he he ).

Strangely the 1st time I ever went to a Disc... was only with my lovable papa . Well he was protective father and had asked me to avoid disc with college boys...every protective fathers concern.I too respected the same and stayed away.But my adorable empathatic father knew that like every youngsteer I would be curious too ...but out of respect obeyed him blindly.He himself took me there so I didn't feel deprived… doesn’t he sound like the most adorable man.

I have had the most fantastic holidays with him …I still remember how he surprised us by asking us to board the bus to Kashmir instead of the scheduled Vaishno Devi trip. We didn’t have enough money or woolens but was the best trip of my life.
Those family holidays were so much fun.

Be it going to check the Christmas decorations around town and have a fancy dinner together, comming all the way to Juhu beach from Ghatkopar to celebrate our bithday parties to visiting the local vegetable market together (4 of us), to coming all the way to Kemps corner to have dinner at papa's second home Kwality restaurant(chole and baked dish being our favorite there)... It was so much fun. It was amazing to see how mom and dad had adapted so well having stayed for 10 years at the poshest Naipean Sea Road - Dariya Mahal to Ghatkopar for the sake of the business.Yet there were no compromises made ever and ensured we got only the best !

I don't remember Mom and Dad partying any News Years eve without us after we came into their life ...It was always togther where ever it was. That was the beauty !

I loved the way I enjoyed getting Rs. 100 as pocket money right upto college days… fun part was Rs. 100 being small amount would exhaust in the 1st 10 days of the month .. then I would go upto papa and negotiate more money which was ‘ Udhaar’ . It was the favorite game with papa.

Oh yeah another one being he claiming to make dahi batapuri for me and gobbling a few pieces when mom wasn’t looking …as he was banned from eating it.

As kid yet another moment of joy would be when papa would take me for a long drive in our white Ambassador and evey time some fellow in the rick ahead or car acted funny … he would yell out loud‘ Oye Hat Kabutar Singh !!’ and soon like his echo I would repeat it and we both would laugh out loud . There is so much more I can just keep writing.Given a choice between friends and papa I chose Papa and I am so glad that I did.

Today is his 11th death anniversary though in these 11 years I haven’t experienced unconditional love, nor did any one come to pick me up at the station or handed over me any pocket money or bought me music casettes or taken me for family holidays. But my dearest papa has lived every moment of my life with me …he was there as a thought saying "papa ki badhur beti” when I felt helpless and wanted to give up on life, he was there when I saw true colors of so called blood relatives and felt disappointed…kept reminding me his last words “ Meri Maa ( Mata Rani )tumhara khayal rakhegi”, he was there watching all unexpected strangers come into our life and supporting us and showing us how to live life again without him, I know he stood proud when I got my 1st salary cheque of my then dream figure Rs10000. Also when I eventually bought my 1st car after having lost his favorite Ambassador and Fiat. He is with me on my every holiday that I make with strangers or friends. He stood by me and in his own ways showed me how to shoulder responsibilities when Mom and Sonal were totally down.

Today I see him stand proudly with a BIG SMILE and Tears of Joy as he watches us .. the 3 strong women who not only faced all the tides that came against us bravely but also have learnt to ride them gracefully and live a life on or own feet.

He is still my World and I so am so very grateful to God for those wonderful 18 yrs of my life with him when I was loved and pampered beyond words.

My Master Magician, My Dearest Papa !

Love you always

12 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger abhijit said...

This is the first time I am doing this - so I hope all goes well !
Payal, I really feel your love and hurt that is inside you.

I acknowledge you for sharing. I pray for his soul being reassured in peace that his beloved daughter has moved on in life and has managed to LET GO finally !!

Love. Take care.

Abhijit

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger amitsinha said...

hey payal. thanx for dropping on my blog, otherwise I might hv missed such a nice blog.
u k wht I was discussing with my fren today , that I want to get out of India forever and might not return ever.I smtym feel like forgetting all my old ties , even my parents.though they really love me without any doubt.
But this piece of writing made me realized my bonding with my parents.I dont know how much I will follow this bonding , but certainly I would always love my parents and remember this writing when I am away from them. Bcoz they cant remain away from me...

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Am sure I am the last one to read the blog. But you know what they say' Better late than never'

To feel so much--- requires a lot of courage and to write about them (with such complete openess, honesty & frankness)-- even more.

Reading your blog i distinctly felt 2 possibilities...either i dont have a soul or I dont have experiences.

Am exptremely poroud of you.

Keep it Up!!!!!!!!!!!

Namrata

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Payal,
Just read one post but really touched my heart. Your father always said Mata Rani is there with you and see today is her day. So see he is not there physically but still with you
Regards
Shilpa
PS:Will def read others too. So when am I seeing Payal blog in newspaper ?

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was one, who did know what you were writing about, but I must say I was not expecting a narration so pure and heartfelt. It does bring to mind so many instances and events in our life, that pass by, without us realising they shall remain with us forever. Its memories being made.

I found it difficult to read your post for reasons known to you.
In more ways than one though, you do inspire me to write...

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... this is the first time i have read any of yr posts.. and am glad that i started with the the one that may have meant the most to u yet... when i read what u siad, it makes me recall everything i have also felt abt my dad.. and makes me realise how quickly we forget some of the magic as we grow up and get engrossed in our own lives... thanx for the reminder... and i am sure that as much as we all are proud of u, he is the proudest and must be saying to his friends up there that my dughter is the bestest...
cheers
luv, a

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not read through the whole composition.

Not because its too long or not written well.

It is just too touching. And i cannot handle it.



Bless u
Anna

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very thoughtful and soul stirring post, I must admit.

Just goes to show how true love and genuine feelings can never go out of one's life, especially if it is someone dear to you, like your dad.

Values are what we keeps us alive & ticking and you seem to have got it in loads from your dad.

Your dad has ensured you get the best in life and he will happy to see you where you are today.

Keep it going and it can only get better!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I read your blog. Was really touched - I think its a wonderful thing to be
able to express yourself about something as personal as this. I'm sure
your Dad would have been very proud of you and of your Mom and sis!

Shoma

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you said it yourself, the Almighty God is there. You've done very well in your life and things would be a lot better, keep it up.

Wish you all the best.

love Nitin

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you love and respect your father! I hope this can be an encouragement to other people also in your situation.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:: hi nice post


Hi Payal,

Frankly I dunno where to begin. I am really touched by your
article – “My Daddy Strongest !” and even “The
Shopping Spree”.

(pause) Really !

I am also from advertising field (creative) and have spent
most of my time in baroda, ahmedabad and Mumbai – and now
am here in bangalore, was thinking about my home, parents
and my baroda and was searching for some pics on Flickr,
when I came upon the pic posted by you. But after that when
I went onto to your blog – I couldn’t believe how TRULY
you had penned down the stuff. For even my wife lost her
father and went through similar feelings – so I could
relate to every bit of it.

I guess you must be the copy girl… he he he – coz you
write very well. : )

Nothing in this world ever replaces your parents’
feelings – yes, that unconditional love that they offer
is like those extinct species nowadays - rare to find. But
in the end, it felt really great.

As an ad professional, we learn to be sensitive and know
that there’s inspiration everywhere – and as they say
if you’re open enough, you’ll find your motivation.

Keep writing and keep up that spirit.
With warm regards,
Bimal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home