soulstirringexperiences

My Blog is an attempt to share,gather,learn from experiences that have touched my soul in some way.It's a new found voice to my thoughts and how I feel about life and everything related to it.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Truly soulstirring music ...

7th Oct 2006

I have often heard of music that can touch your soul. But I truly experienced it only on this trip. I am not very musically inclined, infact don’t have any particular liking for music …what ever sounds good is what I hear. But this trip I met some who has given me a new meaning to music, spirituality and humbleness.
Sundaram, a German by origin ( Stephan ,his actual name I figured after a little latter ) flew down specially for this Reiki Intensive course.

I had heard his chants at Prasad’s and was looking forward to see him. The day he arrived we were all anxious to see what he looks like. We were told he is tried and will join us in the evening.

At 9 am group reiki session as we sat with out eyes shut in our meditative mode listening to chants playing in the background suddenly we heard harmonium playing and Sundarm singing ‘ Shri Raghunatha’ … that voice felt like it touched a cord deep within. It sounded like some one very intense and devotional. To think of a German singing Hindu chants and that too so beautifully was just amazing.

As we completed our meditation and opened our eyes we all were searching for Sundaram. He had disappeared leaving us in mystery again. He came back in the evening and we just couldn’t stop smiling at him … imagine a bunch of mad 80 people just looking at someone and smiling ear to ear waiting for him to speak…I am sure he felt the love over flowing for him …We had him sing every evening for us …at times we got meditative and times we just danced in celebration. The feeling that his music created was that of a complete HIGH!!.

Sundaram even took us to the beach one evening and sang by the sea side for us …picture this … the gushing waves, the setting sun, the moon that seem to just be rising and Sundaram’s soul sitting music …it was something so spectacular that i i fall short of words to describe .

He sang a beautiful song that evening the line of which were “There is so much magnificent by the ocean … waves are coming in waves are coming in” That small line just brought out a lot of pain within and helped it get released in the form of unstoppable tears.It was beautiful …

Every evening he would share some interesting stories with us …he cutely called every story as his favorite story. We all very anxiously sat to hear him out. We totally loved the way he would make his stories more interesting by the special sound effects he gave them. It was like re living our child hood when our parents or grand parents read out interesting stories to us.

What was even more amazing was the glow, the calm, the humbleness, naughtiness, intensity on this young German’s face. It just made me forget any worry that came to my mind …

And that’s not all … Prasad and Sundaram made a dream come true . Actually made a special moment just memorable for life. This is on Sharad Purnima day ( Full Moon night ) on 7th Oct 2006. It was suppose to be a very auspicious night according to the Hindu calendar.

Prasad surprised us by announcing that we were going to walk on the beach for a while at night to enjoy the moon lit night. To add to our happiness he announced that Sundaram would sing for us. Picture this ….a family of 80 of us …walking on the silver sand beach that was sparkling due to the beautiful full moon light. At a point we stopped and looked at the beautiful full moon. It seemed to have an aura around it …a glow of red and golden light. It felt like a dream …

Soon we sat down in a huddle. We had yet another surprise awaiting us. Usha ji this very graceful Kathak dance decided to perform to Sundarams chant as her offering to her teacher Prasad . It was just amazing to get a glimpse of Ushaji’s eye movements and hand gestures in the moon light sitting on the cool silken sand with the waves adding to the music of the manjiras and the harmonium.

After a while I kept listening to Sundaram’s music and lie on the sand watching the moon. The way he sang I am sure that night all the gods he called out to must have left what ever they were doing and must have graced all of us with their presence. It really seemed like the doors of heaven were open .I prayed for myself and all my loved ones and enjoyed each moment that was offered to me. It was a night I shall never forget my entire life …I took certain important decisions too at that moment that I have promised to stick by no matter what odds I may have to face .

Sundaram’s voice is spectacular and ever since I sleep with it playing in my mind and wake up with it in my heart. Thanks universe for introducing me to such beauties of life that I seemed to be ignoring so last so many years …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home